Tuesday 19 May 2020

Ravi Zacharias (1946–2020)

I was in high school when I first heard of Ravi Zacharias.  I read Can Man Live Without God? perhaps in or after my first year of Bible College (at age 21 or 22) and it was very formative for me.  Not only was Ravi defending the reasonableness of Christian truth but he was doing it all the while demonstrating Christ-like love for those he was speaking to (much like C.S. Lewis and Francis Schaeffer).  Over the years I've read several other of his works and listened to him speak.  I have always been impressed by his gentleness, humility, and kindness when he is engaging others with the life-altering message of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Today Ravi has gone to be with his Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ after a lengthy time of suffering with cancer.  We might say that he has entered into his well earned rest, and Ravi might agree, but he would clarify that it was Jesus who both earned his rest, and who ushered him in to it.

Below are some links to help us remember, mourn, and celebrate Ravi's life:

Ravi's obituary at RZIM

Ravi's daughter, Sarah Davis, at RZIM

Justin Taylor at the Gospel Coalition

And this beautiful beautiful recollection by Alan Jacobs of an impactful conversation with Ravi when Jacobs was a young student.

I appreciate Ravi's ministry so much.  He helped me learn that Christianity was reasonable and existentially satisfying, and that defending Christian belief could be irenic and winsome even while it was intellectually rigorous.  Ravi modeled that the truest way to share the gospel of God's gracious love to us in Jesus Christ was to share it lovingly and graciously; to imitate Christ while sharing the message of Christ. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dan, I would love to catch up sometime. Blessings brother.

    ReplyDelete